DuroStar DS4000S Gas Powered 4000 Watt Portable Generator - RV Camping Standby
- POWERFUL DUROSTAR ENGINE: The DS4000S is powered by a DuroStar 7 HP 208cc OHV engine with automatic low oil shutoff; Fuel Capacity: 3.96 Gallons; Noise Level: 69dB
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 4,000 peak watts and 3,300 running watts, this unit is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools
- POWERING EVERYONE ANYWHERE: Like all DuroStar generators, the DS4000S is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX: DuroStar DS4000S Generator, Oil Funnel, Sparkplug Wrench, Tool Set and Owner's Manual
- POWER PANEL: Includes a selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 2 120V household outlets and 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet; Also includes a voltmeter for measuring voltage output
The DuroStar ds4000S might be the perfect option if you’re looking out for a cheap electricity back up option (rather than, say, to take camping).
At under $300 it can provide peace of mind for significantly less than some of the more portable and lightweight options, which are made of more regular use.
Durostar ds4000S Main Features
- Durable DuroStar 7.0 Hp, air cooled OHV engine w/low oil shutoff
- Heavy duty steel frame with four point fully isolated motor mounts for smooth and quiet operation
- Full power panel with oil warning light, volt meter, circuit breaker and power outlets
- Power Plug Configuration:(2)-120 Volt, 20 Amp, 60 Hz-NEMA 5-20R Outlets, (1)-120 Volt, 30 Amp, 60 Hz-NEMA L5-30 Outlet
- 8 Hour run time
- 4000 Watt Surge/3300 watt continuous
- 4 Gallon gas tank/8 hour run time
- EZ-Pull recoil start
- EPA Approved
- Automatic low oil shut off
Here’s a video from Durostar showing the ds4000S in action:
Durostar ds4000S Review Against Key Selection Criteria
Let’s go through our selection criteria to evaluate this machine:
The Durostar ds4000S has a surge power of 4000W, and running power of 3300W,more than enough to power most household appliances such as the TV and fridge.
This is a reasonably noisy machine compared to other inverter generators (but still quieter than most conventional devices).
However many of these are designed for regular use in public – at camping sitrs for example – and therefore need to be much quieter (one of the reasons they are more expensive).
Brand Reputation (3/5)
Durostar is relatively unknown compared to, say, Yamaha or Honda.
However they do have a good reputation within the industry.
Run Time (4/5)
The generator provides 8 hours of run time, hopefully plenty to provide interim power in an emergency.
The Durostar ds4000S is much less portable than some of the camping/RV portable generators on offer. However this does not matter too much if you want to use it for its designed use: rarely used back up power.
We do recommend investing in the optional Durostar ds4000S Wheel Kit which attaches to the frame and makes it much easier to drag around.
We’ve left the best feature until last.
At <$300 the Durostar ds40000S is cheap compared to the $500-$1000+ cost of many of the other inverter generators reviewed here.
If you’re looking for an inverter generator to sit in your garage only to be wheeled out during a black-out or other emergency, then the Durostar ds4000S is great value.
For any other use (especially where portability or quietness is important) other models are better options.